[C320-list] Fridge Usage (Now New LED Source)

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Tue Dec 6 16:34:21 PST 2011

I tried to post his a while ago but I don't think it made it.

One other angle is to attack your other big electron waster, lights. The
only thing worse than running a compressor to keep beer cold is using
precious electricity to heat wires up so much that they glow.

I have tried at least 10 LED's sold by various marine distributors.
They were all in the $30-$40 range, and they were all of Color Rendering
Index (CRI) I didn't find pleasing and most were too dim. I now have a box
of failed experiments.

On a lark, I picked up one Lowes has for 12v G4 style  replacement.
http://tinyurl.com/88plfle
At less than $9, I didn't expect much.

When I tried one out, I was very impressed. Color and brightness almost
match the halogen G4's that came in my fixtures and I can now leave ALL 12
of my lights on at night for about the same energy that a single light used
before. Also I found no interference on FM or VHF and they of course don't
get hot.

I checked the part number stamped on the unit and it is the same as the
marine suppliers are selling for 3-4 times as much.

Happy Sailing!

John
2007 C320MKII
Hull 1118