[C320-list] Cabin Table

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:46:19 PST 2011

The following is a quote from Rick Sulewski's post from 9-13-2009

Bob, Here is the method we received the day we ran the commissioning
checklist with the dealer and it works so well that my wife can easily
perform the same task so it is not brute force, but rather technique.

First, unscrew the lock at the base of the *table* post.

Stand over the *table* directly in front of the *table* post and place the
heals
of both palms together on the *table* top directly over the post with your
arms extended and locked.

Next, with your arms locked and the heals of your palms next to one another,

lift the heals of your palms about 6 to 8 inches above the *table* surface
by
lifting your locked and extended arms to raise your palms 8 inches by
standing up at the waist.

Last step, strike the *table* top with the heals of your palms by executing
swift striking motion with your palm heals as you bend down at the waste so
that force is generated by both your upper body weight and the rapid motion.

If you are not directly over the post when both of heals of your palms
strike the *table* top post, you can simply lift up at the waste and strike
the *table* top again with the force of your upper  body.

Apparently the *table* post is filled with gas and by striking the *table*top
breaks the seal on a valve and permits the *table* to be lowered.

I never tried sitting on the *table* top or jumping up and down, but the
same
principle is at work: striking the post to allow the seal or valve to allow
the gas to escape from one valve to another and then the post can be
lowered.

I would love to see a U-Tube video of someone jumping up and down on the
*table* top while straddling the mast compression post......then again such
video may need to be placed on the restricted side of U-Tube........

Another caution is to watch where you place your fingers so they do not get
caught as the table comes down.

Eccentric means off center and should be avoided.  Pushing on the ends or
sides will tend to jam the support.

Jeff  also cautioned that letting people sit on one side of the table can
pull out the screws that mount the top.

Pat, 801