[C320-list] Bow Hatch Cover/Reply

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Jan 1 09:46:35 PST 2011

Hi,

  We had issues with our hatch frame leaking as well. As you say, it wasn't hatch gasket related.

The solution was remarkably simple as far as boat projects go.  The solution was to rebed the hatch with Bomar hatch tape.

It went like this...

Removed the screws around the outer frame and the ones on the inside.  Pay attention to the screw lengths and where they go.

Gently pry the hatch off. You will probably find a brown putty/clay-like bedding material on the hatch.  Ours had lots of gaps and a few places where it dried and cracked.

Once this is all peeled off, take the foam hatch tape and run it around the frame making sure to overlap the ends properly.  With a razor blade, slice the overlapped tape on a 45 angle to keep from having a spot where water could seep in if the tape shrunk at all.

            \
             \

Put the hatch back on and enjoy the dryness.  Took me an hour to do the job having never done this before. Most of the time was cleaning the old sticky putty off.

-Jeff.