[C320-list] Marina fire in Washington NC

Karl Mielenhausen _/) C320 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 7 18:21:45 PST 2011

Chris,

Glad to hear the boat is OK.

Info I received from some firefighting colleagues is:

> The fire started in the shorepower inlet on a Mainship power boat next
> to a
> friend's houseboat. He escaped in bare feet and long johns having
> foolishly
> tried to fight the fire with a disconnected garden hose.

It is advisable to check our shore power inlets for signs of wear and
resistance from time to time, especially if you pull high loads (ie. A/C).
This is best done by unscrewing the shore power inlet from the transom and
looking for signs of heat damage where the wires are connected to the back.
Also check the contacts (blades) for signs of corrosion or heat damage.
While you're at it, inspect the cord and plugs on both ends for corrosion.
Do a resistance test on each of the 3 leads. If it is any more than 1 ohm,
find out why.
This is a 15 minute task that creates tremendous peace of mind.

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690