[C320-list] Perkins Raw Water Pump

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:48:27 PDT 2011

Myron, I'm interested in your project as my Perkins is approaching 2,000 hrs
and I will probably need a rebuild of the pump before long.

I've not done this so my advice is anecdotal.  It is a Jabsco pump and parts
are readily available.  I've thought I would have mine rebuilt as I've no
idea what's involved in the rebuild: do I have the necessary tools.  I've
used a web site www.depcopump.com that has lots of good info about such
pumps.  I've thought I would get a rebuild estimate from them.  You can also
get the necessary parts from them.

Removing the pump is probably doable considering that since you're asking
the question you're probably considering doing it yourself.  However, refer
to Section X, of the Detroit Diesel manual for instructions on this pump.
It says, "Attention": Do not remove the drive housing of the raw water pump.
The alignment of this housing has been carefully adjusted with a special
alignment tool."  Then it refers to 4 "set screws" that fasten the pump to
the drive housing that you may remove.

As for the serial number, as I remember, it is stamped on a plate attached
to the engine on the stbd side forward somewhere above the high-pressure
fuel pump.  I think it records a model and serial number. Mine is: model
KD3024J; Serial: 51554X.  If you have trouble locating it, let me know and
I'll verify where mine is located.

Hope this helps.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"