[C320-list] PLEASE SUGGEST BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jul 18 10:37:48 PDT 2011

Jason,

We rarely keep the fridge on while away from the boat and that takes the
pressure off the charger and fridge compressor having to endure needless
heat cycles and such. As a result, we still have the OEM charger and have
not experienced any issues with the fridge after 16 seasons. We manage about
60-70 days away from the marina each season.

We have just replaced the batteries with Interstate Deep Cycle SRM 4-Ds
early in June. We are very pleased with the reserve battery power over 3-4
days while running the fridge, an inverter for the laptop and phone chargers
in addition using the cabin lights for several hours each night in addition
to using the stereo while away from shore power.

Some travel practices that work for us: Minimizing fridge compressor cycles
is where one can stretch their daily battery reserve power. We often carryon
cold ones to start the trip and find it only takes a couple of hours to get
the fridge down to the lower end temperatures. It is also a good idea to
place a blanket over the top of the fridge to provide greater insulation
during hot weather days. On occasion in very hot weather we take the
remaining ice from the travel cooler and place in at the bottom of the
fridge to jump start the colder fridge temperatures. Placing an initial
block of ice or even a large bag of ice in the fridge while at anchor for
3-4 days has allowed us to lower the fridge setting and squeeze much more
time from the 4-Ds while still having adequate starting power.

We often carry a battery starting pack just in case we run the 4-Ds too low,
but have yet to use the starting pack.

Rick
My-Ria #277