[C320-list] Changing the Impeller

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 07:04:48 PDT 2011

I do what Paul does on my 3GM30F Yanmar.  It is a lot easier to remove the
pump than to try to get off the backing plate with the pump mounted on the
motor.

Just close the thru hull for the sea water pump, loosen the pump from the
engine, take off the hoses from the pump one at a time and drain any water
into a small can.  (I keep a dry bilge.)  With the pump on a towel in a
convenient location carefully and remove the backing plate.  The screws are
slotted so use a screw driver with the widest blade that fits the screws to
prevent stripping them.  When the plate is off, you then grab the screw in
the hub of the impeller with a long nose pliers and pull out the impeller.
You may need to nudge the impeller a little to get it out.  I mark the pump
on the painted side to show pulley rotation direction and mark the plate so
it is put back in the same position as when taken off.

Put some glycerin, soap or other water soluble lubricant inside the pump and
on the impeller and any O rings that seal the plate and install the
impeller.  I gently rotate the pulley in the direction shown by your
markings before putting on the plate just to make sure the vanes look fine.
Starting the engine does the same, but it is an instantaneous  900 rpm.
Install the plate, the pump, the pulley, then the hoses and tension to spec.
Make sure the pulley is in the slot on the crankshaft pulley and then
tension.

Open the thru hull, start up the engine and check for water coming out of
the exhaust and for leaks at the sea pump.

I remove the impeller when on the tarmac for winter storage and install it
prior to launch and the drill takes less than 15 minutes.

I believe the Yanmar tool kit has all the metric open-ended wrenches for
this job, but I use the metric sockets from my on-board tool box.  You can
tension the pump belt by prying with a long wrench or bar as long a you are
careful not to scratch or burr the pulley. If you are not confident in doing
this put a wooden block or a heavy folded towel where the pry bar meets the
pulley.

The drawings on the instruction sheets that come with the impeller sometimes
show the impeller rotation in the opposite direction from the 3GM30F which
can cause confusion, so I just install the impeller and turn the pulley
according to my markings on the pump.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894