[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 1128, Issue 1

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:30:53 PDT 2011

In preparation for crossing Lake Michigan, I have decided to install two padeyes in the cockpit for my harness / tether.   Last Fall when I sought advice from the Forum, several people noted that installing one on the bridge deck (vertical surface between cockpit sole and bottom of companionway) is very useful as it allows one to clip on before leaving the cabin.  My question is: has anyone drilled through the bridge deck? I want to make sure it is structurally strong enough to hold up to load applied to the padeye under the 'worst scenario'.  Is the bridge deck just two fiberglass skins, an inner one from the cabin liner and an outer one from the cockpit with a hollow space between  ... or is it reinforced with plywood sandwiched between the two skins ... or some other structural composite?  I have backing plates for the padeyes, but don't want the bridge deck to structurally fail under a MOB load or crack / compress the bridge deck when tightening the backing plate while installing the padeye.  Alan  Hull 67 Holland MI.