[C320-list] Autopilot and 'crazy ivans'

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:43:08 PDT 2011

This winter, I posted about my Raymarine wheel autopilot suddenly and without warning making aggressive turns to starboard.  I had tested the fluxgate compass and the control head per Raymarine service literature ... and all checked out.  Some forum members suggested checking (for bad connections, broken or damaged electrical wires, etc) the positive supply and ground wires comprising the power feed to the control head  ... again all checked out.  Consensus was some sort of short or other electrical supply problem.  Well, we were right about it being an electrical supply problem ... but wrong as to the cause.  In the end it was a low voltage problem caused by a 'tired' battery bank.  This Spring I did the 'upgrade to the 2 x 4D house bank and 1 x grp 24 start bank ... so adequate voltage is always available to the autopilot ... and without any other changes all is well !!  Hope this helps others in the future that may experience the same problem.  Alan Hull 67 Holland MI