[C320-list] Stuffing Box Wrench

bairdrjb at aol.com bairdrjb at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 05:29:26 PDT 2011

Long time listener; first time caller.   Well, not really, this is my third posting since joining the group a couple months ago.

What is the proper size wrench for adjusting the stuffing box?   A previous thread made reference to a fixed wrench, 1 7/8".  Is that correct?

I just finished my first attempt at adjusting the stuffing box, and was successful using a pipe wrench on the locking nut and a spanner wrench on the big nut.  The pipe wrench, however, scored the surface of the locking nut, so I have got to imagine there is a better tool.

Before I pop the thirty bucks for the wrench, I thought I would check in with the group.  Is the 1 7/8" wrench the correct size?

Bob Baird
Star Dust - 2001, Hull #784
Whitehall, Michigan