[C320-list] Charles Charger Inverter Problem

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Tue Jun 7 18:26:02 PDT 2011

Crosby,

How old is your battery bank? Your batteries may have lost their recharge
capacity over time and now even a quick but intense charge may not last very
long.

One of my West Marine batteries acted as you described over the weekend. The
battery quickly lost a charge, even after being charged and even after the
motor had been running for some time.

I changed out my batteries yesterday and installed Interstate deep cycle SRM
4Ds at a cost of only $333 total for both batteries with a core exchange.
Each battery now has 1314 CCA and 390 reserve minutes at 25A. I called
around and purchased the batteries from a boat dealer who has an Interstate
Battery Truck making a delivery several times a week.

We never run the fridge while off the boat and got 9 years out of the OEM
4Ds with over 45 nights away from the dock each year. We only got 5 1/2
years out of the West Marine Seavolt 4Ds that had something like only 220
reserve minutes from each battery when they were new.

Rick
My-Ria #277