[C320-list] BAttery Hook up question

David Swanson kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 09:25:26 PDT 2011

Marine batteries have significant current and you do not want to cross wire or short any of the wiring as it would be very dangerous.

As you note, some the systems seem rather complicated, especially when crawling around under seats and behind cabinets.  I rewired my two house batteries into series (one large bank) and added a dedicated starting battery last summer.  Considering the complexities of the work with fabricating cables, the consequences of getting it wrong, and your email description, there are two ways I would solve this problem considering your email:

1.  Draw a diagram and be very logical and systematic in how you are connecting your batteries.  Do you want them in parallel or series (i.e. two smaller single battery banks, or one large battery bank?).  Be very purposeful and careful.

or

2.  Hire a professional to safely fix it properly for you.

I have learned on my Catalina as well as other boats that taking some photos of work before and after installation has been very helpful at times.  Especially with camera phones, it is simple and easy to do.  Just this winter I used my iphone a lot to take photos (and even video) behind cabinets and under floor boards as I was installing hot air ducting for during my installation of a Wallas diesel heater as well as plumbing for a anchor locker wash-down system.  I uploaded the photos and videos to my ipad and then I could "see" what was behind these spaces.  Useful while working on the boat and useful while planning boat work at home.  Amazing tool right in my pocket.

Anyway, good luck with getting your batteries reconnected.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107
Mukilteo, WA

On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Crosby Roper wrote:

> This is pretty basic ( and a bit embarassing). I am replacing the batteries on my boat and have connected them, but the battery # 2 is not providing any power. I blithely disconnected the old batteries without paying close attention to the set up on the second battery because everything was tightly bundled together and I thought you'd have to be a moron to get it wrong....
>
> My question is this. On the forward battery the are two red cables  that are bundled with a 3rd black cable that is longer. I have connected the two red cables to the positive post and the black cable to the negatrive post (along with two other black cables.) No power from the 2nd battery this way. Is the black cable bundled with the two reds, actually meant to connect to the positive post on the forward battery ( like the negative to positive in series configuration in a flash light??? Am I risking dong serious dam,age here and should I just call someone to sort it out rather that trying  switching things around?
>
> Any advice would ber helpful.
>
> Crosby Roper
> Tethys
> Hull 1054