[C320-list] Stern Cleats

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Tue Jun 21 06:50:44 PDT 2011

Jason,

I back into my slip also.  I have done this since 1999 with no noticeable
wear on gel coat, but I expect that has to to with the lead angle of the
lines from the cleat to the dock.  If you have pier pilings where you can
raise the lines up a bit so that the pull is not against the gel coat ,it
will help.  My lines still make contact with the deck fiberglass, but not so
hard that it scuffs.  Also, I set one line a little higher on dock piling
than the other one so that when both lines are tight, they do not rub where
they cross. I pass my lines between the vertical posts of the pushpit
between ladder and next vertical post (as you move outboard).  This keeps me
away from the back stay.  You probably can move boat in or out just a small
bit to accomplish this.  A line contacting the pushpit stanchions is better
than contacting the backstay...lines don't contact pushpit stanchions except
when wind and tide work together on occasions to create this situation.
Also, raising the line at dockside will make sure that you don't rub lines
on the pushpit mounting screw heads, which will cut the lines eventually.

Dennis Harris
C320 #694