[C320-list] Jack lines

spkaldor@yahoo.com spkaldor at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 21:01:55 PST 2011

What I have: one inch tubular webbing, 35 ft, two lengths, stored airtight out of the sun, deployed on each side from bow cleat to stern after looping around the shrouds, ends simply tied. Attach via one commercial tether with elastic take-up.

What I like better after using that: 5/8" low stretch braid (eg halyard) tied down the center of the boat, from bow to mast, then under traveller to base of helm and secured aft. Connect with double ended tether. Why?

1) Much stronger line;
2) Less stretch line;
3) Less UV unnoticed degrading line;
4) Much less sensitive line. Webbing doesn't handy even small exposures to sharp edges very well.
4) You can lock in to the tether before you step out of the cabin so you are secure faster. You can also duck below to fetch something from the galley or chart table without unhooking;
5) You don't have to worry about stepping on the line because it runs where you don't walk.
6) Double attachment means you are always looked in as you go past line tieoff points.
7) When you fall, you are tied in to the middle of the boat, not the edge, so you stay on the boat. And versus tethering to the opposite side, easier to move fore and aft.
8) At the helm, you are tied in forward, not behind you, keeping you at the helm.

Yes, it is more in the way, but I'm only in that kind of weather with one or two on board. Anyway, anyone on deck should be using it.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Sean
Liberté # 499
San Francisco