[C320-list] Battery Bank Upgrade - Which starting battery??

Karl Mielenhausen _/) C320 at suddenlink.net
Sat Mar 19 14:06:08 PDT 2011

I believe a starting battery in the neighborhood of 400-500 CCA should be
more than adequate, especially since we do not tend to start our engines
when the temp is below freezing.
I've seen 3 cranking amps per cu in of displacement as a guide. That would
be 180 CCA for the 3GM.
 From what I've seen, most starters will draw around 150-200A but not for
very long. The 5108 at 300A should be fine. It will actually pass 600A for
0.2 seconds according to Blue Sea testing.
I am planning on installing a 5191 holder and 5187 fuse @ 200A right on my
starting battery.
I installed a Walmart Maxx 1N auto battery some time ago, because it had
side terminals which aided my wiring hookup. 900 CCA. Group 34/78. A
Consumer Reports Best Buy at the time.
To be honest, I don't use it that often, as the house bank (440AH of golf
car batteries) starts the engine just fine.
It's there just in case I really draw the house bank down too far.
I see no compelling reason to pay twice the money for a "boat" battery for
use as a starter and get fewer CCA.