[C320-list] Battery Bank Upgrade - Which starting battery??

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sun Mar 20 17:49:42 PDT 2011

Hi Alan,

   I'm not sure what the ABYC has to say about the fusing here, but
generally, there is no fuse in the starting circuit, so that probably
shouldn't be a concern as the cables are heavy and bolted securely at both
ends.  Other loads however are fused of course.

Also, my suggestion is to get the battery with the highest cranking amps
that conveniently fits your space.  I use an AGM starting battery with about
950 CCA.  The main reason is that it'll last longer if you're not drawing
anywhere close to its max amps during starting.  The other reason is that
should you end up having a fuel problem, you'll appreciate having a much
higher starting reserve on the shelf without fear of draining the starting
battery.

Finally, I recommend an automotive AGM because its more durable, recharges
faster, charges with the same settings you use for your main flooded battery
bank, and you'll never have to worry about checking the water, having it
freeze, or discharge over the winter.  It'll hold a full charge over the
winter without needing to keep it on trickle charge.  Mine was maybe $60
more than the regular automotive battery.

Whatever you decide Don't get a combo- deep cycle/starting battery.  That
will not work well in this application.  Been there.

Cheers!
-Jeff