[C320-list] Battery Bank Upgrade - Which starting battery??

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:41:32 PDT 2011

Alan, the fuse I installed with my battery upgrade is 150A on the
recommendation of my technical advisor (thanks, Jeff.)  The 80A fuse on the
engine, I mentioned earlier, is in the glow plug circuit (I think.)  In the
Perkins Shop Manual, the 540A under load is the max design spec for the
starter. In normal operation, it wouldn't/shouldn't get anywhere near that.

I recently saw the in-line fuse holder you mention.  First online somewhere
online then ran across it in WM.  Really a simple way to fuse the battery
without separate mount and extra wires.

And, yes, GenuineDealz.com is a great resource. I had them make all my new
cables at a fraction of the cost of having them done locally; and,
turnaround is fast.  They are very accommodating and quick to reply.  I
highly recommend them.  Since then, I went in with two other owners and
bought a hydraulic crimper for about $60 at HarborFreight.com  It's quite
easy to use and does a great job. It makes properly sizing cable length a
snap.  I also bought a ratcheting crimper at HF for the small connectors.
I'm now self-sufficient for making all onboard connections.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"