[C320-list] Hurth Transmission Fluid Replacement

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:35:55 PDT 2011

I second Alan's info. However, my dipstick has not a rubber "O" ring but a
thin metal washer that I have lost on numerous occasions. Knowing to look
for it has allowed me to find it.  I suspect that Alan's "O" ring is a
replacement for this washer.
Dextron II ATF is appropriate for the Hurth gear. I'm able to find it in my
local auto store.
I use a small 3 oz. Listerine bottle to measure the ATF. These bottles I got
as samples from my dentist.
When winterizing, I overfill the ATF to keep the clutches wet all Winter. In
the Spring, I pump out the excess.
Yes, clean ATF is very hard to see on the dip stick. I painted my dip stick
with a white high-temp engine spray paint to make it easier to see the fluid
on the stick.
I've always sailed with the tranny in reverse to prevent free-wheeling of
the gears. I'd rather use neutral as that should produce less drag from the
prop.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"