[C320-list] Bilge pump switch replacement

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Sun May 1 18:48:20 PDT 2011

I completed the bilge pump switch replacement today, with a Johnson Control Ultima unit which is completely sealed.  (The stock one really is junky) It went really well.  Boats befuddle me more often than not, but this time I seem to have come out victorious.

The REALLY nice thing about this upgrade was that the original base, is more or less like the one on the Johnson.  You can't use it, but guess what?  THE SCREW HOLES LINE UP!   No new holes to drill in the bilge.....

So here is a question.

The new switch only has two "hots" and no ground.  I had a ground wire left over and in case I needed it again, I didn't pull it.

Anyone else do this replacement and do something with the ground?  I left it in the bilge, high enough so the water wouldn't ever get to it.

I am sorry I didn't take any pictures.  I had the 6 yo boy with me and he was doing his best not to help me.  :)  I was told that an install story was on the 320 page by Chris Burti, however it appears to no longer be available.

But if anyone is interested I can transcribe the specifics on the upgrade and what I found if someone else is looking to do this.

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD