[C320-list] Mast mounted Whisker Pole Questions...

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri May 13 13:56:11 PDT 2011

Hello.

I assume some of you have installed the long T-Track and have your whisker
pole mounted for storage on the mast.

Allan Field was kind enough to send me a parts list to get me going.
Here's what I have.

.         LC10-18 whisker pole  (I got the UXP version)

.         10' of T-Track  (wish I had shopped around more and found clear
anodized track instead of black)

.         FC-125 Mast Car for the inboard end of the pole to clip into

.         VPC-125 (250) vertical storage car to hold it still when stored.

.         Deck Chock to clip the outboard end into during storage.

I'm pretty sure I want all this mounted to the mast so that I don't have any
holes drilled through the deck.   I went with mast mounting so that I have
less chance of dropping the pole overboard.  J  I'm really good at those
sorts of things.  The fish know to look up whenever I'm around.

Here are things I'm concerned about:

1)      What length of track did you actually use for the vertical storage
configuration?

2)      Will one VPC mast storage car really keep it from rattling around in
a rolling anchorage or do I need something else?

3)      Looking at the FC-125, when the pole is stored the top of the pole
will be held out about 4-1/4" from the mast.  But the Deck Chock if mounted
directly to the mast will hold the bottom of the pole out only about 3-1/4".
Looks like I'll need to mount the Deck Chock on a spacer if I want the pole
to be parallel to the mast when stored.  Seems like it might look funny
otherwise?

4)      What sort of rigging and line controls have people used (if any) for
handling the raising/lowering of the cars?

Can you hear the "newbie" written all over this email?

Thanks!

-Jeff