[C320-list] Has anyone had a Meg Test done on their Shore Power

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Mon May 2 06:09:58 PDT 2011

> >  "it is a test where you have a meg tester that sends 30000
> volts down a power line and tests the cables continuity , ohm
> and corrosion thru a given circuit. It also check for earth
> or cable breakages.
> >
> > This test is usually done on power tools and industrial
> equipment then signed off as being acceptable to use.

Annie,

I suspect he meant 3,000v rather than 30,000v.  It's (the lower) a pretty
standard test for mains wiring in Australia to show that the insulation and
the installation are all up to par.

You would need to advise the electrician doing the test of the galvanic
isolator fitted to the boat (little box in port lazarette that the mains
earth wire from back of shore connection socket goes through on way to main
circuit breaker also in port lazarette).  It may not be rated highly enough
to survive this test.  Also make sure the battery charger circuit breaker is
definitely off.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen 1141