[C320-list] New topic...jammed main roller furler on 2002

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sun May 22 12:08:09 PDT 2011

FIXED IT!!!  Thanks to all for the suggestions.  The wet weather today
may be the lubricant that was my saviour.  Lessons learned:  A:  The
sail wasn't hoisted enough in that the luff bead was loose.  B:  NEVER
furl without some tension (ensuring a 'tight' furl) applied.  C:  Boom
should be raised off parallel slightly when furling (I knew this) to
ensure proper furling, as the sail isn't a perfect triangle.  Whatever
our next boat is, it'll have a 'flaking' main.  I've no problem with
'externally' furling sails (like our jib), but when they furl into a
mast or boom, problems can arise (operator or other cause) which can
be difficult to correct.

Bob