[C320-list] jam cleat replacement

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri Nov 25 10:42:25 PST 2011

That square loop is not intuitive. The line never runs through it. Its purpose is the opposite. You flip that loop up over the cleat to PREVENT the line from cleating accidentally, not to guide a line into the cleat.

I know this doesn't answer the question about replacement, but the preventer can be replaced without removing the cleat I think.

Cheers.
Jeff

Stephen Cox <scox at timmin.com> wrote:

> Has anybody replaced the jam cleats for the mainsheet? The
> locking tab on our 2003 First Light has broken off and I was
> never very happy about secure the line was going through the
> jam cleat.
>
> Has anyone changed that to a rope clutch? Thoughts about it?

Really bad idea IMHO as you should be able to throw the main sheet off in an
emergency. If its through a clutch it could jam with a twist or knot as it
pays out.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141 		 	 		 =