[C320-list] jam cleat replacement

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:13:58 PST 2011

We found the jam cleat to be a pain, but generally, it appears to be the
best solution.  Unless you increase the mainsheet purchase enough to safely
use a cam cleat, there is not a viable alternative.  Bert suggested adding
a wedge to improve the lead.  We were not able to find a purpose built
wedge, but did find some plastic wedges that are designed for shimming door
frames.  Have not gotten to around to adding them to see if the better lead
helps.  Several of the folks on the forum recommended use of the winch in
heavy air and that has become our default approach.  That limits the need
for the cleat in heavy load circumstances, but a magic all purpose solution
would be quite nice to find.  Pat, 801