[C320-list] Interior Teakwood Maintenance

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Tue Nov 29 13:44:17 PST 2011

David,

Are you trying to restore the color of the teak, or just put a
protective coating on?

If you are trying to restore the color, how badly sun bleached is it?

If it is badly bleached, you may want to stain the wood before adding
any sort of protective coating.  Alternatively, many top coats,
including a number of polyurethanes, have an amber tint to them, which
might even out  the tone.

For a top coat, you may want to consider something with a good UV
protection.

Also, you didn't say which wood was faded.  Is it the companionway
walls, the flooring, the stairs, or all of the above?

Here is a link to a product that was recommended to me a couple of years
ago.
http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/coatings/em2000-waterborne-alkyd-varnish.html

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)