[C320-list] Dry or Wet Bilge Pump Sump Area

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 00:37:53 PDT 2011

I don't think that a slight amount of water in the bilge will hurt your boat at all in the relatively dry and moderate San Diego climate.  However, mopping up this water to keep a dry bilge will help reduce humidity and moisture inside your boat thus making it more comfortable (less clammy Ed sheets, etc.).

When my C320 was in San Diego, I had the same thing with a slights unit of water ever preset n the bilge after operating the boat.  Puzzled, i initially thought a rain water leak down the mast or weeping keel bolts were the culprit, but no.  What I learned in that every time the under sink 6 gal water heater heats up, that a little bit of water, about 1/2 cup, leaks out through the pressure relief valve on the tank and drains into the bilge.  This is normal.  So I placed a 1 liter bottle over the end of this pressure relief valve drain hose to catch this water. Now I have a dry bilge and much SE's clammy bed sheets.

Dave Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107
Mukilteo, WA