[C320-list] Temperature Gauge

Ronniew326 at aol.com Ronniew326 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 19:52:40 PDT 2011

Rick,

That is helpful.  Thanks a bunch.

In a message dated 10/15/2011 9:35:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
rsulewski at bex.net writes:

Ronnie,

I just replaced my temperature gauge and the  temperature sender located on
the fitting that is on top of thermostat  housing my Westerbeke engine.

I experienced the same problem a couple  of years ago with a pegged temp
gauge but discovered that I had  accidentally grounded out the temperature
lead when I replaced the valve  cover after adjusting the valves and
inadvertently pinched the temperature  sending wire between the engine block
and the valve cover. Once I removed  the wire and taped up the damaged wire
that had created a direct ground,  the temp gauge worked fine. Then this
past
summer the temp gauge pegged  again and there was no evidence of a former
ground problem against the  engine block.

I pulled the thermostat just to be on the safe side while  the water
temperature in Lake Erie was in the 70s.  Last week I  finally got around to
replacing the gauge and the sender. The problem was  not the sender but the
gauge. I replaced the sender first since it was time  drain the block to
freshen the antifreeze since I needed to reinstall the  thermostat with the
lake water temperatures declining. The temperature  gauge replacement is
straight forward with 6 screws to remove the  instrument gauge panel and
then
removal of the gauge leads with one of the  leads on the gauge centering
bracket. Total time to replace both the sender  and gauge takes less than 15
minutes.

My temp gauge has a black  background and can be purchased from Catalina
thru
Seaward, West Marine or  most any yard marina store can order one - cost
about $39 and the temp  sender unit cost only $20.  I bet the sender could
be
purchased from  NAPA like many diesel engine parts such as the fuel pumps,
etc, but got  mine at local marina yard store.

Hope this info is  helpful.

Rick
My-Ria #277