[C320-list] Dry or Wet Bilge Pump Sump Area

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:14:56 PDT 2011

Our bilge stays dry except when we are away from the boat for an extended
period of time.  Teflon packing - either the coated or the clay, we are
using a combination - allows significant reduction in lubrication flow and
no noticeable heating of the gland.  The small sump behind the engine will
hold what water does accumulate and a weekly wipe up combined with
evaporation keeps the primary bilge dry.   If you are not able to stay ahead
of the drip rate with a weekly wipe, it's time to adjust the gland.  Our
shaft is brass and may help dissipate any friction heat that is generated.
This has been a trial and error learning exercise, so no significant
scientific theory or data collection was implemented.
Consequently, YMMV.   There have been a number of prior posts that provide
guidance.  We learned a lot from those that shared and appreciate the help.

Pat - 801