[C320-list] Electrical Problem

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:55:14 PDT 2011

Joe, what you describe could be the result of several things:
Shore charger: is it 3-stage digital controller?  If not, your batteries may
have never been fully charged.
Connections: There could be a good charge on the batteries; but, with poor
connections and given the amount of amps are needed to start the engine,
what the circuit can actually deliver may be insufficient to start the
engine. You need to do a test for voltage drop along the neg and pos circuit
between the battery post and the end connection (i.e., starter, eng case.)
Battery condition: A load test is indicative. Also, a battery hydrometer
will tell you the condition of each cell in each battery.  A difference of
more than .020 indicates a need for equalization. A dead cell or one that
won't charge into the green indicates time to replace the battery. I bought
a decent temp-compensating hydrometer at Sears for about $10.  There is lots
of info on the net about battery testing and maintenance.

Good luck,
Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"