[C320-list] Lost Halyard

momvan at aol.com momvan at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 11:37:14 PDT 2011

thanks great advice

-----Original Message-----
From: Denny Browne <dennybrowne at verizon.net>
To: C320-List <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Lost Halyard

A piece of an old coat hanger with a tiny hook on the end will also grab the
essenger line pretty easily. A flashlight might help.
I like vectran core line for a genoa halyard. You can downsizw to 5/16 or 8mm
nd strip the cover off the part that's in the mast pretty easily, for weight
aving. Be careful not to let the shackle slip out of your hand, though. The
eavier covered part may pull the untended shackle straight to the top of the
ast. Also, vectran is considerably stronger than the luff rope, so if you store
he sail on the furler, let a little tension off the halyard when finished for
he day to extend sail life.
Denny Browne
 Cappella #935
edondo Beach
ent from handheld, sorry for typos, grammar, etc...
On Oct 24, 2011, at 5:25 AM, Flyingmonkey <lou at flyingmonkey.im> wrote:
> Before you drop the mast try this. Get a small bicycle chain, break / separate
he master link so you have a straight chain.  Tie a messenger line to your new
alyard and the chain. Drop the chain down the mast (over the sheeve), as the
hain nears the exit hole on the mast, a little gentle rocking of the boat will
elp you to slip it right out of the hole.

 Also this would be a perfect time to inspect all your halyard sheev'es while
our up there.

 Good luck,
 Lou Hodac
 Blue Moon
 Hull # 702

 Sent from my iPhone

 On Oct 24, 2011, at 7:00 AM, momvan at aol.com wrote:

> My jib halyard chafed ( may have been rotted) and the halyard came
own......anyone have a solution for re-routing it? the mast is up but will come
own withing a week or so. Also, any recommendations for new halyard ??? I race
he boat mostly.........Thanks for the great service to all our boat owners!