[C320-list] Lost Halyard

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 10:29:04 PDT 2011

A piece of an old coat hanger with a tiny hook on the end will also grab the messenger line pretty easily. A flashlight might help.

I like vectran core line for a genoa halyard. You can downsizw to 5/16 or 8mm and strip the cover off the part that's in the mast pretty easily, for weight saving. Be careful not to let the shackle slip out of your hand, though. The heavier covered part may pull the untended shackle straight to the top of the mast. Also, vectran is considerably stronger than the luff rope, so if you store the sail on the furler, let a little tension off the halyard when finished for the day to extend sail life.

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach
Sent from handheld, sorry for typos, grammar, etc...