[C320-list] Traveler-end Turning Blocks Seized

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 11:45:29 PDT 2011

The drill here is when washing down the topsides, all blocks are give a
little soapy water and the rinse hose is put on power spray to rinse out the
ball bearings on the blocks.  I also do the traveler car itself as it has
ball bearings working on its track.  The blocks include those on the
traveler, mast base adjustable jib leads and any others easily reachable.
Twice a season I put Harken ball bearing One Drop lubricant on all the ball
bearing and other blocks.  It is hard to get all the stacked blocks on the
traveler lubricated, but I use an old syringe previously used for loading
ink jet cartridges to get the One Drop into the tight spots and eventually
lubricate all the bearings.  After 10 seasons all the blocks so treated
still spin very freely when given a gentle nudge.

Harken One Drop lubricant is more like oil than Harken Sail Kote and is
specially formulated for ball and other bearings.  A small tube has been in
use for 5 seasons and it still is about 3/4 full.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)