[C320-list] fin vs. wing keel

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 06:03:29 PDT 2011

If you can sail comfortably in your waters without worrying about going
aground get the fin.  The performace difference is remarkable.   But if you
have any doubt on depth, you open up a LOT of options with the wing.  And to
be honest, I move along OK.  (folding prop really helps here...) Pointing is
a different matter.  I find with the 150 up front and sheeted in tight, I do
better, but nothing great.

My prior C&C had a 5'4" fin, and that was boarderline.  I did OK in the
upper Chesapeake.  Some anchorages were out of scope.

6 feet plus under a Catalina 320?  No way.  Not here.

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD

PS - First snowfall of the season has begun in earnest.  Its supposed to be
bright and sunny with highs still in the low 60s!!!!!!