[C320-list] fin vs. wing keel

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 08:00:41 PDT 2011

Hello All,

I would also add the fin keel works for most of the great lakes.  We had some close calls in the Kalamazoo River in Saugatuck off Lake Michigan, otherwise the fin keel also works great in this region.

The big issue is if you plan to race your vessel at all and want a chance to place you really need to go to the fin keel - the pointing ability and carrying less mass is a huge difference.  Now I cruised extensively all over the great lakes before racing and I still cruise quite a bit and I have to say pointing better towards my destination and going a tad faster to beat some coming weather is an added boost I love. I have also see a few wing keels run aground.  It is not pretty getting off vs. a fin keel.    When sailing in shallow water, I really try to avoid cutting it close regardless of fin or wing keel.  Of course that is what GPS, chart plotters and tide charts are for.

Regarding west coast sailing since I did the massive move/shipping of Dawn Treader to SFO - lots of wind, you fly with the tides (weather you want to or not), and a fin keel is totally fine.

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320
"Dawn Treader"