[C320-list] MARELON SEACOCK LUBRICATION

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Sep 12 05:49:40 PDT 2011

I didn't ask Forespar, but I heard that you should avoid anything that contains Silicone or other chems that might cause the seals to swell. Sure would be good to know whether that's true.

I think i also used waterproof Teflon based grease in the past with seemingly good results.

All that said, these valves have always seemed *very* stiff to operate so maybe don't be expecting silky smooth easy operation.

Maybe current valve models may be different?
-jeff

"Robert E. Sloat" <resloat at comcast.net> wrote:

I have used a white grease with Teflon (it has use on food equipment
approval so I assume it will not harm the plastic thru hulls) on all my thru
hulls for 10 seasons and they all work fairly easily. Even the macerator
thru hull which is locked shut here on Lake Michigan works fairly good once
a year when it is lubricated. In the spring when on the tarmac, I close all
the thru hulls dab the white grease on the closed ball valve like Jeff does
then go inside and work each valve open and closed about 10 times. Then I
open all the valves and rub grease above the valve ball and rub it around,
then back in the boat and another round of opening and closing of all
valves. A fairly large artist oil brush that fits through the thru hull is
what I use.

For next near the plan is to use Teflon grease in a spray can just purchased
to lubricate the thru hulls. It has a small tube that will allow injection
of grease on and above the ball. The grease thickens after is comes out of
the spray can so it looks like this will be another way to lubricate the
valves. Closing the valves part way to leave enough room for the spray tube
to pass through, then injecting grease above the ball is an option.
Hopefully, enough grease will end up on the top of the ball so the top will
be lubricated.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)