[C320-list] Cleaning interior window shades

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Apr 28 09:11:33 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I noticed last season, that most of my pleated window shades were starting to look dirty and had lots of black mildew and bug stains on them.  Replacing them is expensive.

I found an easy way to have them looking like new.

Remove them, fill a bathtub with about 4" of HOT water, some laundry detergent and about 2 cups of real liquid bleach.  Mix it up well then put the shades in to soak (opened up).  I swished them around gently and let them soak for about 45 min with an occasional light agitation.

After a few good rinsings with cold water I dried them in the sun.  All the mildew spots are gone. They look like new now and I got a chance to really clean the cabin roof where they attach.

It would be great to know if there is anything I could spray them with to help prevent or reduce mildew and mold in the future?  Scotch guard maybe?

Maybe this helps someone.

Jeff