[C320-list] Accent Tape - Suggestions

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 05:17:51 PDT 2012

Karl, I've done this a couple of times. I would never attempt it from the
deck. And, yes, removing the glue is a bear of a job. Even after softening
with heat it remains very tacky. I resorted to using a razor scraper to get
under the glue and ball it up enough to be able to grab and pull it.  Just
be very careful as it's easy to gouge the gelcoat with the razor. Even
chemicals didn't seem to be a help. Maybe I just didn't find the right one.
Once clean, installing the new stripe is not difficult.

I found that marking the beginning and ending of each section was enough. On
the starboard side there are two fixed ports and so three separate sections
of stripe. On port, with one fixed port there are only two. The stripe will
buckle if not laid quite straight. Also, the gelcoat under the stripe was
clean and shiny and acted as an aid to align the new stripe.  Good luck.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"