[C320-list] Rust and Marlube

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Apr 23 14:50:51 PDT 2012

Joe,
Regarding lubricating the seacocks, at the end of the season I place a
couple of ounces of -100 degree engine antifreeze (left over from the bucket
draw to pickle the freshwater system) inside each of the seacocks and leave
the seacocks closed for a week or two so that lubricant remains on the
inside of the seacock ball before the freezing weather arrives. The lower
temperature antifreeze is slicker than the -50 degree antifreeze I use for
the water system. -100 degree grade provides adequate lubrication without
much additional work other than working the seacocks open and close a few
cycles before leaving all seacocks open for the winter.

I found that grease may tighten up the seacocks over time if the water where
we sail carries some spring silt or other containments. I also no longer to
use any spray lubricants because they contain a propellant chemical that may
swell or dry out the seals making the seacocks very stiff.

Rick
My-Ria 95 320 #277