[C320-list] Truecharge 2 charger vs. Freedom HF 1800 charger / inverter

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Sat Aug 18 13:49:21 PDT 2012

I am thinking of upgrading the battery charger on our 320.  The Xantrex
Truecharge 2 seems like the popular charger.  I would want to add the
remote display.  All told, that ends up being around $350 for the 20 Amp
model and the remote display.

The idea of being able to run the microwave or other AC things also
sounds good to me.  The Xantrex Freedom HF 1800, with the 40 Amp
charger, goes for about $475 and has a remote panel.  For the difference
in cost, the inverter wins, in my opinion.  However, the specs say that
this charger/inverter only has one charger output. That seems like it is
an issue for me, since I have two batteries.

Have any of you gone with the Freedom HF 1800?  If so, did you also add
a battery combiner?  If not, how are you wired?

Thanks,
Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)