[C320-list] ST4000+ flux gate compass

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:51:16 PDT 2012

My flux gate compass is installed in my bilge compartment just forward of the bildge pump compartment.  Swinging my compass produced a reading of 15 which is the maximum value allowed before you must relocate the flux gate (per the manual).  I have been experiencing problems in that for certain headings the heading readout on the control head does not indicate being off course until the course deviation (detected by my steering compass) sometime exceeds 10 degrees resulting in crazy ivan wheel adjustments.  I am tuned correctly per the forum and all mechanical components are OK.  My next move is to relocate the flux gate.  What alternative locations are the members using?  Under the swim platform would seem to be the easiest installation location since I will avoid having to snake the cable.  Also since I have the shallow bilge, there in not much difference in elevation between the two locations.  Thoughts?  Alan Hull 67 Holland MI