[C320-list] Help with aft cabin leak

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 26 13:35:36 PDT 2012

We have a leak in the aft cabin on the hull above the hanging locker on our
hull #62.  I'm 90% sure it is from the stanchion above.  However, the
resulting moisture behind the wood paneling has started to mildew and
permeate the paneling.  I need to remove the paneling to clean it up and
refinish.  If anyone has removed this panel, I could use some hints.

The mounting ring of the stbd fixed port is attached over the paneling
making it necessary to remove the mounting ring to remove the paneling.  It
appears the outside finishing ring on the port is bonded to the hull.  What
I want to know is can I safely remove the inside ring without compromising
the watertight integrity of the port.  Also, we're in the water and wouldn't
want the port to drop overboard.

Any other hints gratefully accepted.

Warren & Pattie Updike

1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"