[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

Sean Kaldor spkaldor at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 12:15:19 PDT 2012

We are rigged with a single line to double reef. So when it looks windy, we tighten that down first, raise the double-reefed main, and trim the jib. I've found it gives us a very balanced boat especially when dealing with variable winds.

Have you had any trouble with balance (weather helm, etc.) in heavy winds within only the jib, or only the main? Has one been better than the other?

I'd think that jib-only would move the center of effort pretty far forward and require a fair bit of helm to compensate when sailing upwind. Downwind, I suppose it wouldn't have a big effect.

Just curious...

Sean
Liberté #499
San Francisco