[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 12:28:44 PDT 2012

Sean-Agee that only one sail up in high winds when heading to wind results
in a very unbalanced condition.  I have been out in 20 Kts with the main
only and not reefed and the weather helm is very strong with just the main.
You have to luff it a lot which eats away at sail life.  The wind center of
effort way back and the wheel is decidedly harder to turn.

I prefer two sails and reefs for better control and balance.  One advantage
of furling head and main sails is that you can easily fine tune both sails
by furling in each.  I have a traditional main with a Dutchman sail flaking
system on a loose footed main and a furling Genoa so  it is a little more
work.  Here on southern Lake Michigan, we do get big winds, but not as a
regular daily cyclic event like SF bay or Lake Tahoe.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)