[C320-list] Gori prop problem

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Aug 6 16:33:44 PDT 2012

When I dove under the boat I grabbed both blades and tried to slam them
open pretty hard. In the past, doing this repeatedly has usually let me
eventually work them open all the way. Not this time. Do you think
putting the boat in reverse is really going to generate more force than
that? In reverse, it's only the centrifugal force working in your favor.
The angle of the blades is actually trying to fold the prop when it's in
reverse.

Going forward could be a problem. I'm on a mooring, and would have to
tie up stern to the buoy to power up in forward with no risk of hitting
the chain. I've never tried that.

I've always thought the geared design was better than ungeared, until
now.  Maybe next year we will try some propspeed on the gears. The
waterproof grease obviously doesn't keep the barnacles off.