[C320-list] Pulling the rig

JJ Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 7 14:10:17 PDT 2012

I've had my mast up and down a few times and it is not rocket science, most difficult part is getting the mast straight when U put it back up. I've got a set of Catalina Instructions with my boat and  if U follow them you'll get the mast mostly straight, not a big issue if you're not racing. The other thing I would do when you are taking sails, boom, rigid vang, main sheet etc etc; is to have a good look at how things are set up and make some notes to aid in rerigging, it's amazing how many ( now how the hell did that go?) situations you will find yourself in. If the yard is doing the whole job the notes will serve to ensure they've done it right.
One issue I did have the first time was with the wires going thru the compression post, the disconnect plug was a good distance down the compression post and I could not get at it so had to cut the wires and reposition the plug. I never was able to figure out how the plug got where it was but in my simple engineering mind was impossible!
 I would have a look at your intended yard and watch how they do masts. I find most of them quite professional. have an eye to safety considerations and watch how they handle the furling foil so that it doesn't get damaged as well as instruments at the masthead.
Good Luck
JohnM
1999#574