[C320-list] ANCHOR ISSUES

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Thu Dec 6 16:19:50 PST 2012

> I don't know that there is a direct relationship between
> anchor weight and holding power.  On a previous boat I
> replaced a heaver iron Danforth with a lighter Fortress.  The
> Fortress had good holding power and I was able to sail
> without my chiropractor onboard.  Practical Sailor has done
> some holding tests in the past.  Seems the best bites were
> not necessarily from the most massive anchor.

I take your point about weight but the heavier anchor for any given line of
anchors would normally have larger flukes and hence a greater holding power
once dug in - hence my penchant for the heavier Rocna.  As a matter of fact,
I have been considering a Fortress or a Guardian as a third anchor.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141
AUSTRALIA