[C320-list] ANCHOR ISSUES

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:29:59 PST 2012

Well, when one is challenged to anchor in the Down Under, I'm not surprised
that you have the rig you do.  For us on the Chesapeake, it is much like a
mill pond in most places.  Rarely am I anchored in more than 12' and 15 or
20 would mean I'm exposed to the open bay.

I don't know that there is a direct relationship between anchor weight and
holding power.  On a previous boat I replaced a heaver iron Danforth with a
lighter Fortress.  The Fortress had good holding power and I was able to
sail without my chiropractor onboard.  Practical Sailor has done some
holding tests in the past.  Seems the best bites were not necessarily from
the most massive anchor.

Still, your needs below the line are quite different than ours in the North
37.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"