[C320-list] Replacement sails and other upgrades

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun Dec 16 15:42:05 PST 2012

I switched from a 2 line to a 3 line system when I bought a new main a
few years ago.  The switch was at recommendation of my sailmaker, who
showed me that it was consistent with Dutchman's own guidelines. I have
not noticed a significant difference in ease of sail handling between 2
and 3 lines, at least not with full batten main. If I were to do it
again I would go with just 2. In my view the most forward line is so
close to the mast as to be not very helpful in controlling the sail. But
putting it any further aft would risk having it hang up on the
spreaders, according to my sailmaker.

I also switched to a loose-footed main when I bought the new sail. I
have had no regrets about that change. My boom has a sliding car in the
track for the outhaul already, so I did not need a slug installed on the
sail itself.