[C320-list] stiff wheel

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:39:02 PST 2012

Edson recommends annual inspection of the chain, cables, sheeves, quadrant,
etc. of the steering.  This includes lubricating the chain and moving parts;
and, adjusting the cable tension if there is play in the wheel.  They have
instructions on their web site for this.
I confess I only do this about every two or three years as it is really a
pain to open the binnacle and cover in the aft cabin, not to mention
cramping my 70+ year old body into the bilge space to make the adjustments.
With the recreational use we make of the boat, I've found that the cables
generally remain tensioned from year to year.  Still, don't follow me,
follow the manufacturers recommendation.
It's a major issue if cables are very loose and jump off the quadrant.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"