[C320-list] stiff wheel

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 10:59:15 PST 2012

The rudder shaft passes through a packing gland in the lazarette so it is
not likely that water from the deck plate would have passed down the
outside or the shaft and into the support tube.  But thawing everything out
is simple and worth eliminating as a possible failure mode.  Binding in the
steering gear may also be the cause.  Cold weather would make the chain and
cable shorter.  Questionable, but possible.  It's not too difficult to
loosen the cable on the quadrant and see if the binding is in the steering
linkage or the rudder post.

What may be the problem is the failure that we found on Cherie.  As you
describe, we could still move the rudder with the wheel, but it was very
difficult to turn.   What we found when we dropped the rudder was teflon
tape wrapped around the shaft at the lower end.  The tape had shredded and
restricted the clearance between the rudder support tube and the rudder
shaft.  The tape was likely installed at initial build.  We found grinder
tracks on the shaft that may have been the reason for adding the tape.  We
resolved by polishing the shaft and re-installing the assembly.   To my
knowledge no one else has reported this failure, so it may have been a one
off.  It certainly is not a known assembly flaw.  Please add to the
collective knowledge  and post back your findings.